Met police officers were told to guard Jeffrey Epstein's home, emails show

Met police officers were told to guard Jeffrey Epstein's home, emails show

Emails released by the US Department of Justice reveal that Metropolitan Police officers were assigned to provide security at a dinner event held at Jeffrey Epstein’s New York residence, which was attended by Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. Despite these revelations, the Metropolitan Police have stated that no misconduct by their protection officers has been identified at this stage. The force also mentioned on Friday that it is actively reaching out to both current and former officers who might hold relevant information regarding the matter.

At the time, as a senior member of the Royal Family, Prince Andrew would have been accompanied by close protection officers to ensure his security. Andrew has consistently denied any allegations of wrongdoing related to this issue. Speaking to the BBC, a Metropolitan Police spokesperson emphasized that protection officers are held to the same high standards of professionalism as all police personnel, with a clear understanding that their conduct will be subject to scrutiny. However, the force declined to comment on specific security arrangements made for protected individuals.

The emails indicate that in December 2010, arrangements were made for Andrew to stay at Epstein’s New York home. In one exchange, Andrew’s private secretary requested the address of the residence and inquired whether there was accommodation available for both his protection officers. Epstein’s staff confirmed internally that there was space available for two bodyguards, with one stationed on the fourth floor and the other on the fifth. The correspondence also suggests that Andrew and his Metropolitan Police bodyguards were temporarily provided with a security code, allowing them access to enter and leave the property.

An email dated 1 December 2010, sent on the evening before Epstein’s dinner party, included a message from an unidentified staff member to Epstein stating, “The Duke’s 2 protection officers along with the state security will all be here for tomorrow’s dinner party. Rich has given them instruction on the door.” Previously, the Met had not confirmed whether the officers actually stayed at Epstein’s house or if they were given a security code as the emails imply. The government’s Royal Visits Committee, responsible for overseeing official travel plans for working members of the Royal Family, reviewed Andrew’s official travels in 2008 and 2009. However, a government spokesperson noted that this committee does not involve itself with private travel by royal family members. Last week, Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office but was released under investigation later that day. Searches continue at his former residence, Royal Lodge in Windsor

Read the full article from The BBC here: Read More