Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: WHO says Ebola vaccine could take nine months

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: WHO says Ebola vaccine could take nine months

The World Health Organization (WHO) has indicated that developing a vaccine for the current Ebola outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo species, could take up to nine months. Two candidate vaccines are in the development phase, but neither has yet undergone clinical trials, according to Dr. Vasee Moorthy, a WHO advisor. This outbreak has seen a significant rise in cases and fatalities, with 51 confirmed infections in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) and two confirmed cases in Uganda.

WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus reported there have been approximately 600 suspected Ebola cases and 139 suspected deaths so far. He explained that these numbers may continue to rise as detection and reporting efforts catch up. The epicenter of the outbreak lies within the Ituri province and parts of North Kivu in eastern DR Congo, while the two confirmed cases in Uganda’s capital, Kampala, were travelers from DR Congo, with one having died.

On Sunday, the WHO declared this Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern but affirmed it is not at the level of a pandemic. Following their latest emergency meeting, the organization assessed the epidemic’s risk as high in the national and regional contexts but low globally. Dr. Tedros emphasized the severity of the situation in DR Congo, especially since healthcare workers have been among the fatalities, which presents a particular challenge.

Medical facilities on the ground are reportedly overwhelmed by the surge in suspected Ebola cases. According to Trish Newport, an emergency programme manager with Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), many sites have no space left for suspected patients and lack sufficient personal protective equipment. The UK government has pledged up to £20 million to support the fight against the outbreak, targeting frontline health workers, infection control measures, and enhanced disease surveillance.

The first detected case in this outbreak was a nurse in the provincial capital, Bunia, who died on 24 April, with subsequent deaths reported primarily in mining towns such as Mongwalu. Residents, like lecturer Araali Bagamba, have adjusted their behaviors to reduce transmission risks, including limiting physical contact like handshakes. Ebola spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids or broken skin, leading to severe symptoms including bleeding and organ failure.

This is DR Congo’s 17th Ebola outbreak, but the involvement of the Bundibugyo strain adds complexity since it is less common and has caused only two previous outbreaks in the region—in Uganda in 2007 and DR Congo in 2012. While Bundibugyo tends to be less lethal than some other Ebola virus species, notably Zaire, the lack of approved vaccines or targeted treatments makes controlling it more difficult. The existing vaccine effective against Zaire Ebola does not currently cover Bundibugyo, although one experimental vaccine under development is considered the most promising candidate.

Dr. Moorthy mentioned that the second vaccine option, using the same platform as the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, is still undergoing production but lacks animal trial data to demonstrate efficacy against Bundibugyo. It could possibly enter clinical trials within two to three months, but significant uncertainties remain about its viability. Meanwhile, no specific drugs exist to treat Bundibugyo Ebola infections.

The WHO has responded to criticism from the United States regarding the speed of the outbreak’s identification by highlighting the complex circumstances in eastern DR Congo. Initial Ebola symptoms resemble those of malaria or typhoid, common diseases in the region, complicating early diagnosis. Additionally, ongoing conflict in eastern DR Congo creates further obstacles for health workers attempting to contain the virus in affected communities

Read the full article from The BBC here: Read More